Hi Doc! I was wondering about bee stings. I came to the Vet last week for some bee stings my dog got, digging into a bees nest. He’s a Chihuahua/rat terrier mix. I was wondering when you suggest it is necessary to bring a dog in after bee stings? Thanks!
Bees and other insect stings can certainly pose health risks to our pets. First, it is never wrong to have your pet examined by your veterinarian after an insect sting. Bee stings can cause localized swelling, redness, and itching which results in discomfort for your pet. Pets can also have allergic reactions to stings that can result in mild hives to facial swelling, vomiting, difficulty breathing, and even collapse. Your pet should be examined immediately if there is facial swelling, breathing difficulty, or collapse. However, if you have any concerns at all after your pet has been stung, it is always best to have your veterinarian examine them. Hope your dog stays away from the bees nest in the future!
Kelly McCarty, DVM